Monday, March 14, 2011

Blog assignment #4 (2 websites)

1.
Art of War, The. (2001). Web design: Digicard. Retrieved March 11, 2011, from http://www.vietnamartwork.com/

This website is designed to introduce the Vietnam Conflict through the artwork of those that were there.  I have used this website many times for students to explore and get a understanding of conflict from those that experienced it.  In the past, students would choose a painting/picture and reflect on its meaning, what the artist is trying to portrait and how it tells a story.  In addition, students can email and converse with the artist asking questions and obtain feedback from their inquiries.  The host of the website and artist is my father.  He has agreed to interact and provide any historical information or reflect the paintings origin and meaning.  He has also visited our school and provided first hand accounts of his experience.  When he does visit, students are to choose and painting and write a summary, reflection and ask questions for his lecture.  We use this website to introduce conflict and more specifically the Vietnam era.

2.
Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History, The. (2009-2011). Retrieved March 11, 2011, from http://www.gilderlehrman.org/institute/era_civilwar.php

This is a new website for me.  It was introduced by a colleague of mine this year.  I have used this website to supplement primary source documents, maps, and journal articles.  The material found in this website is information not necessarily taught in traditional textbooks.  It has write-ups and articles from famous historians, book reviews and suggested or additional reading titles for students.  When I assign a particular topic, students are instructed to browse this website for any addition journal articles or book sources not found in our textbook.  Students like the details of the maps and the ease of their explanations.  In addition, we have what I call "This day in History" for extra credit.  Students must write a paragraph and explain what happened on that particular day throughout history.  They must cite their sources and many use the History in the News scrolling headline and historical facts from this website.  I also use this website to point out writing/essay contests and scholar programs.  In addition, I like the link that allows you to listen in on historian’s new books and discoveries.

No comments:

Post a Comment